10 Strategies for a more Efficient Day
1. Eat breakfast: This might be the most important tactic to creating a more productive day. First thing when you wake up your body is in a fasting state and needs fuel. Take the time to make yourself a nutrient dense breakfast that will wake up your metabolism, spark your energy levels and give you the fuel in your tank to be a more productive businessperson.
2. Drink more water: When your body is dehydrated you lack energy, slow performance, and force the body to work at low levels. It is a must to start drinking water the minute you wake up. You should be drinking ½ your weight in ounces of water every single day.
3. Write your “to do” list. Immediately when you arrive to work on Monday morning, make a list of everything that needs to be accomplished for the upcoming week. Highlight the most urgent activities and start with those. This “to do” list becomes your road map to efficient, successful and productive days.
4. Plan your meals: On Sunday night schedule at least 4 of your dinners for the upcoming week. Know the foods you will cook on which days so you are prepared. If you have dinner plans one evening, write that into your schedule. “Failing to plan, plan to fail”, quotes John Wooden. When you don’t have a plan, it will be difficult for you to manage time and organize your day.
5. Construct your “perfect” day. Start with the time you wake up in the morning, then your shower, read the newspaper, eat breakfast, go to work, check emails, make calls, eat a snack, finish a report, go to lunch, back to work, meeting with boss, respond to emails, finish writing an article, eat a snack, clean up desk, head home, go to the gym, eat dinner, and family time. Write up your “perfect” day and try your best to follow the schedule. If you get off path, don’t worry get on to the next day.
6. Wake up early: Just by waking up 15 minutes earlier each day that will add 91 hours a year of extra time. Spend that time doing something productive like reading a book or educational article or getting in a quick workout. This tactic can get your day off to an unbelievable start.
7. Get adequate sleep: We need 6-8 hours of sleep every night for proper brain function, healthy living, and more energy. Once it is time to go to bed, turn the television off, shut the lights and close your eyes. Watching TV stimulates brain thoughts and could disrupt your sleeping habits. Spend the last 20 minutes before bed reading a book, meditating or listening to soft music.
8. Eat every 2-3 hours: Pack healthy snacks to take with you so you to stay energized throughout the day. Eating low glycemic foods more frequently maintains metabolic function, stabilizes blood sugar, increases energy levels and keeps you from over eating.
9. Workout: Working out consistently will relieve stress, stimulate endorphin release and improve brain and body function. Aim for 60 minutes of activity 4-6 days a week. Implement intervals (running, biking or bodyweight circuits) 2 days a week and metabolic resistance training 2-3 days a week.
10. Positive and fun environment: Surround yourself with motivating, positive and successful people who like to work hard but also like to have fun. When you are around people who are hard working, goal oriented and determined individuals you are more likely to build and maintain these traits into your lifestyle. And smile and enjoy life! Life is too short to be taken too serious so enjoy the people you are around and be inspired to live life at high levels.