Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Be obsessed with the process


Why do so many people misjudge the time it takes to achieve goals?  So many people are looking for the quick fix or the “secret sauce” or the magical pill.  If you truly want real world success, if you are looking to attain big goals and you want to do it the right way, simply BE OBSESSED WITH THE PROCESS.  This strategy can work for all areas of life.  Whether you want to complete an Ironman, run a successful business or achieve financial freedom, becoming obsessed with the process is the key component.  

Since my expertise is in fitness, let me explain…

Fitness is such a “I want it now” idea that it sometimes drives me crazy.  If I had a quarter for every time someone asked me about some sort of a quick fix or miracle program, I would be rich.  Over the past 5 years, I have logged over 4000 hours of training!  I am not telling you this to brag, not at all.  Just explaining that it takes years to achieve some success.  I still aspire to improve and change my fitness but I have become obsessed with the process and that enables me to keep the motivation, resilience and energy to train. 

If you wanted weight loss, here is what I would advise…

I would encourage you to be obsessed with the process.  Over the next 100 days, I want 85 of those days to look like this:

Daily: 65 ounces of water – Don’t skip a day here!
Breakfast: 2 eggs, ½ avocado, small handful of blueberries
Snack #1: 20 almonds
Lunch: Chicken or Steak or Fish Salad
Snack #2: Apple w/1 tablespoon Peanut butter
Dinner: Lean protein (chicken, steak, fish, etc), salad or other vegetable and a small handful of brown rice or potatoes
Once or twice a week, eat something you have been craving. 
(pizza, chicken wings, ice cream etc.)

Now I want you to become obsessed with the process.  Notice, I did not say, “be obsessed with fitness.”  That’s not the point here.  You go at your pace.  You do not need to be perfect, just be consistent.  Do not look for a quick fix.  Get to the gym 3-5 days per week for at least 30 minutes.  That equates to 42-70 workouts over the next 14 weeks.  Mix in strength training and cardio sessions.  Do this every week for the next 14 weeks.  Do not weigh yourself every week.  Instead weigh yourself every 25 days, just to keep yourself in check.  But understand that when you become obsessed with the process, the weight will come off.  If weight is the only thing you are assessing, your progress will be skewed.  Out of the next 14 weeks, 12 of those weeks you need to do some weekly meal prepping.  Simply, make a few extra chicken breasts, boil up some eggs, chop up some veggies and make some extra brown rice.  Remember, if you are obsessed with the process, the results will happen.  If you are looking for a quick fix, you have the wrong plan.

See, this direction is tough for people to take because there isn’t some day where you wake up and shout to the world, “Wow, I got lean overnight!”  or “Wow, my business is a success overnight!” Or “Wow, where did all that money come from?” (unless you won the lottery and we all know those odds)  My point is that going after your goals is hard and if you are not willing to become obsessed with the process and put in the daily grind, for years, IT. WILL. NOT. HAPPEN. 

I say all of this as I sit here now writing this article that I am obsessed with the process.  I write this article knowing that it will serve other people.  I do not write it to sell something or become something.  I understand that this is part of the process that it takes to become an industry leader and a servant of others.  I am not looking for a quick fix.  I am in it for the long haul and will continue the process for as long as I live. 

Get the point?

No comments:

Past writings